When are nominations open?
The online nomination portal will remain open until August 4th 2019.
How can I nominate someone for the awards?
- All nominations must be submitted through the REACH Awards online portal.
- Candidates must be nominated by a third-party nominator; candidates who nominate themselves will not be considered.
- Nominators may nominate multiple nominees.
Who is eligible to submit a nomination?
- The nomination process is open to the public as long as the nominator has direct knowledge of the nominated individual’s work and contributions in the field of disease elimination.
- Nominators should not belong to the same institution as the nominee but are expected to have a professional, academic or administrative relationship with the nominee.
- Candidates must be nominated by a third-party nominator; candidates who nominate themselves, a colleague or a supervisor will not be considered.
Who is eligible to receive an award?
Nominees should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Nominees must be individuals and will be accepted from organizations in any part of the world, including non-profit organizations, for-profit organizations, international organizations, government agencies and academic institutions.
- Nominees may be any age, but preference will be given to young leaders (under age 35) for the Rising Champion Award.
- During the application process, nominators, nominees and evaluators will be required to confirm that they have read and understand the 2019 REACH awards statutes, and acknowledge that any information submitted will be subject to and handled in accordance with such provisions.
- Each nominee may only be considered for one (1) award category.
- No person can nominate herself/himself for the REACH Awards
- Nominees must be working in the field of human disease elimination in low or middle income settings but may come from any sector (civil society, academia, private sector, medicine, etc.) This may include efforts to eliminate transmission or eliminate a disease as a public health threat.
- Nominees must be able to travel to the UAE for the Reaching the Last Mile global health forum on 19 November 2019.
- The Crown Prince Court’s decision on applicant eligibility is final.
What are the categories for the REACH Awards?
Candidates may be nominated for one of the following award categories:
- The Unsung Hero Award aims to honor and celebrate an extraordinary individual who has played a transformative, frontline role in the field of disease elimination, and has been under-recognized for his or her efforts until this point.
- The Game Changing Innovator Award recognizes an individual who has developed and implemented a creative technology or practice in support of disease elimination that has benefitted low-income communities. Innovators may have developed a new technology or product or implemented a new delivery method or process. The solutions must be in mid- to late-stage development in order to show some evidence of impact.
- The Rising Champion Award celebrates an individual who is championing a cause related to disease elimination. Nominees should be focused on influencing health policy within their respective country through advocacy activities. Examples of activities include: traditional media (news) and social media campaigns, grassroots organizing, outreach to policymakers, organizing events or fundraising
- Lastly, the Lifetime Achievement Award aims to honor an individual who has dedicated his or her career to disease elimination. This respected individual will be selected directly by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and is not open for external nomination. The award winner must demonstrate outstanding leadership in the field of disease elimination, resulting in measurable results and long-term impact for affected communities, and have inspired others to take action.
What will the application process entail?
- Nominators will submit a short nomination form before 4 of August 2019 through the online nomination portal.
- Nominees will be contacted shortly after nomination and invited to submit additional information to complete their application within two weeks of being nominated.
- Members of the jury will convene to select winners.
- Winners will be contact in Fall 2019 and invited to attend the Reaching the Last Mile global health forum in Abu Dhabi on 19 November 2019 to receive the award.
How will winners be selected?
- The rigorous nomination and review process is a cornerstone of the REACH Awards, designed to attract nominations from world-class champions of disease elimination and ultimately select the highest performing, extraordinary individuals as the winners.
- The review process incorporates technical experts and esteemed global health leaders as judges, allowing for expert opinion to guide the final selection of winner.
- The process will be completed in five (5) steps: nominations, nominee submissions, selection of finalists, selection of winners by an esteemed jury and announcement of winners.
When will you announce the winners?
- Winners will be notified in Fall 2019 and publicly announced at the Reaching the Last Mile global health forum in Abu Dhabi on 19 November 2019.
Why is His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan hosting these awards?
- From boots-on-the-ground innovators to local community health workers, the REACH awards aim to celebrate critical contributions from those on the front lines of disease elimination.
- The awards underscore the belief of His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan that no one should die from preventable diseases and that the ability for people to live a healthy life is a key driver of development, which leads to stable, prosperous societies.
How many winners will be selected in 2019?
- One winner will be selected for each category; resulting in four winners in total.
How often will the awards be given out?
- The inaugural awards took place in 2017 and will be given out every two years.
- The next REACH award winners will be announced on 19 November 2019 at the Reaching the Last Mile global health forum in Abu Dhabi.